Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bits & Pieces

I've done away with that silly 'sign in word doohickey' thing that pops up after a nice person leaves a comment on my blog. It always drives me nuts when I find it on other's blogs. So, it's gone from mine. Just leave your comments and rest assured you'll not be asked to jump through hoops for your kindness.

Another pet peeve of mine is the 'your comments will post with blog owner approval.' What's with that stuff? You either want me to comment are you don't. Make up your mind. If some idiot has the balls to leave obscene wordage on my blog, guess what, if I haven't the time to track you down and mash your face into the sidewalk, then I'll just ban you forever....but approval...give me a break. Rant complete.


This morning, as usual, I rise, shower, dress and drive to Little Bit's house and take her to school. We stop for breakfast and a chat first. We're eating among a group of Coast Guard personnel, discussing their jump suits when Little Bit said, "Papa, why did I have to dress this morning and why did you come get me?"

Blink-blink.

"Because, my love, you need to go to school. It's, after all, Wednesday."

"Not really, Papa."

"Not really what? Wednesday?"

She laughs, darn near spits a mouth full of orange juice all over me, then, "No, Papa, you didn't have to get me today 'cause school's out for the rest of the week."

Me, mouth wide open, vacant glazed eyes, slightly redden faced, "What." In a rather loud voice. And, I catch myself just before letting out a few choice curse words. I do a one tenth second draw with my cell phone and call her so called father.

"Duh, yeah."

"Boy," I said (and yes I called him, boy) "Is Little Bit's school in session today?"

"Well, duh, yeah, I suppose so...?" How the kids today raise the last vowel on their sentence. "Why?"

I drop the call and phone her school. It's out. Teacher conference stuff. Sixteen mile round trip drive for nada.

I bring her back here to my office and she sweeps it clean..."Papa, I want you to keep this place clean, do you hear me."

"Yes, Sweet Heart."

I made her so called mother get out of bed and drive down here. Makes you want to slap someone....




Not this angel, others....

Ping, change of subject...

I've accepted the offer of writing a review for Lucky Gunner. So in the near future a box of .45 ACP should arrive in the mail and I shall blast the heck out it. What the heck, right, a chance to sling lead downrange, then write my thoughts in hopes some of you will purchase a fifty round box. Shame the pain I put myself through for the good of mankind.


Anyone have one of the these they'd like me to wring out....

Later,

Stephen

12 comments:

  1. dear friend...yer on a real roll today eh?

    okay - i must agree that i hate word verifications - hate them! and don't have them on our blog (i think! holy crap i better go and check that out!). do you know how many times i have mistyped "qdstypion" or "alkzyptin"! but a few years back (from what i heard) spammers were writing code or whatnot (ask jambaloney) and hitting blogs with all kinds of crap. so i think that's why blogger came out with that option. regardless i still hate it!

    and i have a friend who has been blogging for years - she is a christian fundamentalist with some very strong opinions. she also did incredibly helpful, step-by-step posts with pics on butchering different animals. she was bombarded for months by all kinds of trolls that were just leaving the most awful comments about killing her and her family and stuff - and it was blog that she shared with her family. so she turned on the "visible after approval" thingy. which i can totally understand. but i don't like that thing either! i like to just be able to leave my comment.

    and oh my goodness - they didn't know that she didn't have school? oh that makes me wanna come down there and mash their faces in a sidewalk!!! poor Little Bit - thank the Lord that she has you and your wife!!!

    lastly - i look forward to reading your review! and yes Stephen, it is painful but someone has to act for the good of mankind - bahahaha!

    i am glad that you ranted. and hope you are having a better day now. and keep that place clean, mister!!!!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. kymber, I shall keep it clean. After all, I have my marching orders. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lil-bits parents begin to disturb me, am I reading too much between the lines? Continued prayers for your brother, starting some for the bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is a black ops being planed for Bits "parents", sounds like they need some TNT inserted (fill in blank) We always had a full school year calender around the house. Posted in kitchen.

    Remember count to 5 before pulling the pin and tossing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odysseus, as much as I hate to admit it, my son and his wife, in my humble opinion, leave a lot to be desired when it comes to parenting. They lavish love and care on my grandson, a year old next month, and tend to ignore Little Bit. I'm as yet unsure if this behavior is intentional or a by product of their love for the new son. It's almost as if she's been sweep aside. Now, having said that, I put much, if not all the blame, on my daughter-in-law. She is a stay at home mother. Son works awful hours, as you can well imagine, to support his family and make mortgage payments. DIL is just flat out lazy. It's very hard for me to keep my mouth in check. They use Little Bit against me. If I critique their actions; no visits from Little Bit. Even though we pay for most of her care and all her education in her private school. Well, you get the picture. There is much more to this story, perhaps one day I'll write it. Prying eyes and all.....

    Rob, trust me, my fuse nears the powder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen,
    Your rant got me to thinking. I have always had word verification and owner approval turned on for my blog. Partly out of concern for commenters manners or lack thereof, partly out of ignorance on my part when I was new to blogging and partly out of selfishness for wanting to see comments before anyone else. However, in the two years I've been at it, I've only gotten 3 SPAM comments and nothing approaching rudeness. So, I think I will experiment with open comments and see how it goes. If I don't like the results, I can always switch back and annoy part of my readership.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shepherd K, my thoughts exactly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you Grump-pa. I will change mine. I've actually gotten used to the word verification. But this way I like to subscribe without commenting. That way I can follow a thread without commenting.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank the Lord you dropped the doohickey sign in thingy..I can't stand it either.
    Just another day in the life of lil bits parents..sorry dude. But at least you got to spend some time with her...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mudbug, the word verification has always bugged the heck out of me...glad I could be of some help.

    JUGM, thanks, and yes I did get to at least have breakfast with her...but now it'll be days before I see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about changing that for a while now. I think it's the way it defaults and I didn't know if I'd be dealing with any spam. Lil Bit's a doll, though, isn't she?

    I'm thinking we'd be likely to buy a box o' ammo if you said good because you'll be honest. I'm a little leary of some reviews I see because it seems more like an advertisement than a review. It's kind of hard to say I'll take your ad money then trash your product. I'm much more likely to believe a regular ol' blogger than a TV show review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 45er, trust me, Bro, I'd be deadly honest. This isn't a paid endorsement, just a box of ammo. If it doesn't perform as I'd like, I'll tell you the truth. After all I'd lose nothing in the process. Thanks for the comments, Little Bit is my joy.

    ReplyDelete