Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

M6 Scout Survival Rifle, And the .22 Cartridge

I'd like to throw out a challenge to all my blogger friends; write and post one article this week, hopefully today or tomorrow, based on the .22 caliber rifle or handgun. The tone or theme doesn't matter. Write about a favorite rifle you owned as a child, or an heirloom inherited from a family member. Perhaps you have certain reasons for or against its consideration as the best cartridge (it is in my humble opinion) for survival situations. Doesn't matter, join the fun. Duke at Down Range Report, http://downrangereport.blogspot.com/, got the ball rolling yesterday. Thanks.

Today I'd like to present to you what I believe is one of the best, again in my opinion, survival rifles, the M6 Scout Survival Rifle by Springfield Arms. The rifle was discontinued in 1985. It was designed by the military for combat pilots.



Oleg recently did a photo spread on the M6, nice picture, but the young man said he 'didn't get it,' as to why the rifle was considered the best survival rifle at the time it was issued. My answer; the M6 was designed for utilization under extreme conditions, and pilots have a bad habit of putting the nose of the plane into the ground, after all. Frequently behind enemy lines.

Here is a snippet found at http://jamesazacharyjr.blogspot.com/2009/03/springfield-armory-m6-scout.html.

The Springfield Armory M6 Scout is an interesting superposed rifle / shotgun survival arm. The rifle barrel on mine is chambered for the .22 Long Rifle instead of the .22 Hornet. The lower barrel is the standard .410 bore shotgun. The M6 Scout has been out of production since March of 2008.

Based on the
M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon, the Springfield Armory version has longer barrels (18.5’’) to make it legal for civilians. There is a flip-top cover on the gunstock where both .22 and .410 cartridges are stored.
The optional lockable plastic carrying case is designed to carry the disassembled M6 along with some ammunition. I have crammed a few extra items in; a cleaning kit, spray oil, and storm-proof matches. It conveniently stows in the trunk of a car or cuddy of a boat. The case IS NOT waterproof. A disassembled M6 Scout readily fits into a camper’s bedroll or a hiker's backpack.
End snippet.


The M6, as you read above, is chambered for .22 and .410. It's the twenty two that makes the rifle.

The .22 cartridge is light which gives you the ability to hump thousands of rounds. Try packing a thousand rounds of centerfire ammunition. It has the power, with the correct shot placement, to drop man or animal. Another credit in its favor are the endless variety of weapon configurations from which to choose, like the Ruger 10/22, or my personal favorite, the classic Marlin Golden model 39.

As I've said over and over the lowly .22 should never be underestimated. As a young man living in the wilds of Washington State I'd cruise the logging roads (I was a notorious poacher) with an old beat to hell Savage .22 and remember taking at least four Blacktail deer. Hey, venison is the meat of kings. Each of those now long dead critters dropped in their tracks as if hit by lightning. But then again so would a democritter if the shot were placed between his eyes.


By the way, if you know of an M6 Scout Survival rifle for sale, email me. I want one, badly. Remember, I'm poor, too.

My friends, work awaits. Again with the challenge, let's make this .22 week. Give me your take, good or bad, on the best friend this country has ever had, a meat getter and survival rifle ammunition of the highest order, the .22 cartridge.

Thanks,

Stephen
 

20 comments:

  1. Good post I have a couple of guns I may do a post on tomorrow.
    Duke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I did not find a video for mine though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MDR, thank you. Youtube should be crawling with vids for that rifle, but it doesn't matter, you'll do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my parents married in 1950, my dad bought a Savage .22 - a single-shot, bolt-action tack driver - with which he presented me when I was 6. Sadly, it got left behind a few years ago, for reasons I won't go into, but it was as accurate in 2000 as it was 50 years earlier, and just as reliable.

    I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev. Paul, great memory, write about it and spread the word. .22 week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to see if I can get my wife to write up about her Walther P22 that she used to put at least of brick of ammo through every weekend(before babies made range trips logistically difficult).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not fair. I got a .22 for my 34th birthday... last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olysseus, great idea, get 'er done. Thanks.

    Mudbug, there you go, an article waiting for you to write it. Let me know when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm .22 week is a good idea and I want one of those M6's as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. PioneerPreppy, thanks and glad you like the idea. Can't wait to see your contribution to .22 week. Hope others join the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend of my dad had a Springfield Armory survival gun like that. He showed me many years ago and I recall wishing he'd say - here, you can have it! He didn't. Still a good guy, though. Just wish I had that gun because it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post..You know how i feel about the .22. We should have done a video on my Rugers Conversion though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mermaid, they are nice and it's a shame you missed out. Thanks.

    JUGM, what can I say, if you got it, you got it. Never to late to edit and insert a video.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the good ol' .22. It is by far the best survival rifle. It sits so low on the totem pole. Still, it's the only way to kill a wild pig in a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have an old single shot .22 that bought by catalog by my grandpa or his dad the only part of the name left on the barrels says Wards& then the rest has been lost. Grandpa said it was bought in the late 20s to early 30s when he gave it to me before he died. The old gun doesn't have mush rifling left in the barrel which i didn't know was possible. but its still fun to shoot

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that it was probably written in jest, but pilots don't "have a bad habit of putting the nose of the plane into the ground, after all. Frequently behind enemy lines". It does happen, generally due to mechanical problems or combat damage. Our habits generally tend to make us try to get the aircraft back to concrete if there is anyway humanly possible to do so.

    That being said, this would be a nice survival rifle to have. I'd like to have one for my truck.


    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  17. 45er, I killed many a hog with the lowly .22. Thanks.

    Corey, thanks and welcome. Bet that old rifle was from the now long gone Montgomery Ward Department Store.

    Matt, I knew there was a reason I liked you. So, your a pilot, and yes it was in jest...I do that a lot around here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edit to last...Matt, you are...a pilot...need more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Post up about my favorite 22 pistol.

    ReplyDelete