Autumn

Autumn

Monday, November 11, 2013

A Piece of My Heart

It had been stored in our attic, the red tricycle - Little Bit's ride when she was still ours to love. It was, in those days, parked in our garage in wait of her visits, and I can still see her tiny legs pump the red Flyer down our driveway and her screams of joy linger still.

Yesterday Sweet Wife came to me and said, "Get it down so I can clean it."

"Why?"

"I want it posted on Craigslist and sold."

Again, I asked, "Why?"

Her eyes were set to determination. I knew it best to drop the subject. I complied.

She took it from my arms and wiped away the dust, gave it a coat of wax. It shines. A pretty little red Radio Flyer - a tiny piece of Little Bit. I still remember her third birthday when it was presented to her. It had a big pink bow tied to the seat. Now, sadly, all that remains are the memories and three light scratches.

How does one price a piece of your heart.

Stephen

24 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that S.W. wants to sell it. What about Toys for Tots or give it to her church to be enjoyed by all the kids.??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, but too late I'm afraid. Thanks, Rob.

      Delete
  2. I think it's SW way of trying to move on. I sure wish things were different for all of you. I know that little girl was truly loved by you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. She wants to wipe the slate clean. Our love will always be with Little Bit. We're just not sure when we can remove it from the lock box, if ever. Thanks, my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. Well, maybe some other child who needs a boost will get some pleasure out of it. Things tend to work out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry y'all are going through that, but I agree with Harry... and NO idea how to price it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listed for one thousand dollars...should sell quickly. Thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. She tends to wear her grief. I try to lock mine far away.

      Delete
  6. Stephen,

    Another child will be very thankful for this beautiful tricycle. Please give S.W. a big hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sad, but it will make another little child happy {{{Hugs to you both}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope it's another little girl. Thanks, Kelly, my sweet friend.

      Delete
  8. Stephen,
    I would have to keep it. I could not get rid of it. She might actually like to see it again to see how you cherished her memory of her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried riding one like that, except a little bigger, downhill through a barbed-wire fence one time.... didn't work out too well.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you say, ouch....? Thanks, my friend. Hanging.

      Delete
  10. Enough. You're breaking my heart here. I hereby volunteer my services as mediator to resolve the conflict that keeps you all separated. I guarantee results or so help me the bullheaded party will be buried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I wish you could help. Thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  11. What a heart break...
    I got tons of stuff like that in my parent's shed for the same reason... Just not getting rid of it and don't have a place for it... and I know if it's there sooner or later, wife woudl want it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. I understand. For my wife these small objects are memories that rip out her heart. God Bless.

      Delete
  12. I walk in shoes beside you. Shoes are different, pain is pain. Lord help us ALL through.

    ReplyDelete