Autumn

Autumn

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Irish In Me

wanted an Irish stew for dinner. Ran to the market for the ingredients and now the house smells great. If you are one without patience, never mind. It takes time to build a proper Irish stew. It isn't complicated but it will burn an hour of your time.

I use a two or three pound beef roast, thinly sliced, instead of stew meat. Aside from the fact I'm frugal I believe the roast gives the best flavor.

A proper Irish stew consist of four basic parts - the beef, potatoes, onion, and carrots. If you insist dump in a few mushrooms and garlic, it won't hurt.

Coat the beef in flour and brown. Now for those of you in California you might want to find another blog because here comes the scary part....brown in bacon drippings. During the process I also use a half pound of butter, real butter. For New York City residents, that's two sticks. Brown in batches. Don't crowd the pot or you'll just steam the meat, not good. Like I said it takes time.

Above, the beef after its been browned. When you're finished with this process drop in the onions and cook until translucent. Add a touch of butter and beef stock and deglaze the pan. Season to taste. I also like a bit of Cajun seasoning, but that's just me.





Above, all the parts happily mingled. Easy on the beef stock. You want a stew, thick, not a soup. Now, bring to a gentle boil, reduce the fire and simmer for at least six hours. Serve with a good cornbread.

Enjoy.

Stephen 




20 comments:

  1. What time is supper? That looks so good. It;s rainy and yucky today. One needs comfort food. We are having burrito beans with smoked sausage and a pan of cornbread. Nothing California or government approved. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mamma Bear, dinner should be around 1800,or as soon as Sweet Wife arrives home. Corn bread is on my menu too. Clouds and rain are expected here later this afternoon. Bring a hearty appetite.

      Delete
  2. I must quit reading your food posts this early in the day. Now I'm going to be hungry for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cook, my friend. Make a pot of your own. If you weren't so darn far away I'd invite you over for dinner.

      Delete
  3. Oh MAN! that looks yummmmmmmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting to think you don't like me any more, I am always available for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1800, Bubba. Corn bread smothered in butter...

      Delete
  5. Good eating! I love meals that can be made in one pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Irish stew! I might make some and can it. Nice to just open a jar and warm up on a cold dreary day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cans very well, as you know, and sure would hit the spot along about January. Thanks, sweet lady.

      Delete
  7. That be lookin' scrumptious laddie! Just need a Killian's Red ta wash it all down with : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good but I'm afraid all I have is iced sweet tea....thanks, my good friend.

      Delete
  8. Irish stew, specifically Lamb Stew, is one of my favorite meals! And, my preference to wash it down with, is a good bottle of red wine. I normally like a crusty loaf of bread but I'll have to try the cornbread with it (I am from the south ya know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW, lamb stew indeed makes a wonderful stew, if you can get it around here and even then its damn expensive. I like French bread too but it's hard to beat a good fresh pan of cornbread. Yes, I know, I can tell your from the south....nice accent you have there pretty lady.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, I can almost smell that simmering on the stove! I'll be using this recipe...thanks for sharing it with us. I'd never had cornbread before moving to the south 30 years ago...now, smothered in butter and sometimes drizzled with honey..heaven!
    Hope Sweet Wife's back is doing better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you dear...I've been making this stew for over thirty years and it is lip smacking good. Sweet Wife's back is better but far from healed. At least she's not moaning and saying ouch every five seconds. Thank you for the kind comment.

      Delete
  10. dear sweet one - that looks so good i can taste it through the screen - i loves me some good, thick, irish stew!!! and i will share my secret ingredient which makes all beef, especially roasts, taste even better!!! ya ready for it??? anchovies! yep! anchovies! chop up 3 little anchovies, don't wipe the salt off of them and throw them in when you add your broth. you don't taste them but they really bring out the flavour in the beef. oh, you don't need to thank me just mail me some stew - bahahahahahaha!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too use Anchovies every now and then...but Sweet Wife hates them..so I sneak them in my dishes. I don't use them for my stews, not sure why, guess I just forget. Thanks, my dear.

      Delete