Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tech Question: Help

I have a problem. As I'm a analog guy living in a digital world, I have a little problem way over my head.  Last evening when it was time for me to enter my receipts into my QuickBooks program a box appeared.

(quote)
QuickBooks has a problem in reading this registration file. You need to ask your system administrator to REMOVE this file and re-install QuickBooks.

c:\Programdata\common files\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbregistration.dat

(end quote)

Problem is I cannot find this file. Even if I did I hate to think of the results if I attempted file removal. What worries me is the thought of losing six months to a year of my financial records. This sucks.

Any ideas?


Stephen

13 comments:

  1. Find your save file and move it to a disk. My Quickbooks puts it in a file named backup. uninstall the program reinstall and move the save file copy back into its original position.

    Conversely you might be able to find that file on the install disk that you have and replace the damaged file. This is highly unlikely however, because most programs tend to package all their files together until they install on a computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmasse, you've lost me. Remember, not good at this stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does carbonite have a file with a .qbw extension on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found two, qbw.nd and qbw.tlg. I just did a computer search for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should be .qbw and not the other way around. Have you gone into the control panel -> add and remove and attempted to repair the program yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I haven't. Kinda worried I'll lose a years worth of financial records. But what the hell, guess I could sit for hours and reload from paper. Trust me, I'm not a geek. Put a AR or 1911 in my hands and I'm fine. Computers, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to help more but I fear that we need to continue this via land line. Everyone has their strengths and mine are guns and computers. No need to apologize. I tend to get very direct when troubleshooting computer issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If mmassee can't get you up and running, shoot me an e-mail with your phone number and I'll give ypu a hand. I do this for a living, but I'll be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the Quickbooks support article on that problem: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12495

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmasse, shot me an email, listed on my sidebar. Thank you.

    Phillip, that you kind sir... I'm just old vet,I can read and write and shoot and hunt and trap and well, you get it...just an old timer having fun but these darn machines throw me every time. If you'll zip me an email I'll give you my number. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete