Autumn

Autumn

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Stuff

Since it's the super bowl weekend I need to rush out this afternoon and purchase the ingredients for my World Famous Stephens' Irish Kickass Salsa. (Trademarked) It's traditional. I could care less about the football game. The commercials are often funny, sometimes even entertaining. The game for me is just an excuse to make myself sick with chips and salsa.

Prep time is approximately an hour. I only use fresh vegetables with a base of canned tomatoes. The salsa must be allowed to stand overnight in the coolness of the refrigerator. When one dips a chip (I prefer Nacho Cheese.) and it stands without waver the salsa is ready to eat. Children, lipstick women, gays, liberals, the elderly sick, and metrosexuals need not apply. My salsa will kill 'em dead right there....

I'm serious when I say I could give a rat's butt about the football game. However, if firearms were introduced to the game, well, different story. Think about it.

*****

I'm very aware there has been an oversight to respond to a few comments for those post I've written in the past. I will make every effort to correct this lack of my attention to detail. A few months back my mind took a deep dive into a black hole of depression. During this period I set aside all things internet related except for the mundane and that related to my actual business.

Give me time and I'll search and correct this oversight. For a while there I felt like Snoopy without his parachute.

*****

While searching my bookshelves last evening I came across my copy of Angela's Ashes, a first edition, and decided to give it a second read. Two hours into the book I grew a hunger...needed food. The book will do it to you, their hunger triggers a need to feed. If you don't believe me, read the book.

Besides, its a great piece of literature.

*****

Remember Tommy? He came in this morning to remind me he'd be back next Monday for his firearms. While we chatted he noticed an old eastern European military rucksack I've had on a hook on my back door for months. I've a gross of 'em. Use them for packing light articles, junk, stuff, handguns, tools, to the shop. He wants it. Asked if it had a price and I said, just take it. He refused.

Cup of coffee later he turns to me and said, "Hey, Stephen, listen here. 'Member those old pocket knives I mentioned last time I was here?"

"Yep."

"Listen, what if I swap 'ya for them there old pocket knives. I must have a box full in storage."

I told him fine, we'd trade my old rucksack for his pocket knives.

I like Tommy. This could turn into an interesting deal. I hope the box of knives are all branded Old Timer.

Yeah, right.

Stephen




12 comments:

  1. Your photo of the knives so reminded me of my Dad, who was never without one of those pocket knives. He used them for lots of things, including whittling. He whittled animals and linked chains. And boxes that had wooden balls inside, all from one block of wood. I once asked him about how he did that. He said that all he did was remove the extra wood around what was already inside. Golly, but I miss Dad. I hope the knives are old-timer knives like Dad's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your father was indeed a special man. Very few men in our modern world have the talent, much less the wherewithal to carve and whittle. They are sorely missed. Thanks, my lovely friend.

      Delete
  2. Your masthead photo of the 1911 and accessories is gorgeous, Stephen.

    And don't turn your nose up at other old US-brand knives; those old carbon-steel knives are popular since most modern stuff is stainless and Chinese-made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never turn my nose up at good 'ole American knives. I have an extensive collection of Old Timers. Thanks, Bob.

      Delete
  3. Wish I had managed to get a few of my old Grand dad's old timer knives. He had em everywhere but I was out of country when that time came. Enjoy your Salsa my friend and with the weeding out qualities you claim it has I might want the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I haven't a single item of my grandfathers. My maternal grandfather. My aunt and uncles grabbed all his possessions, cleaned out his farm house and burned it to the ground. The land equaled dollars. I too was out of country. I'm sure your grandfather had some fine old knives. Think of the memories.
      You'd love my salsa....it makes Duke cry. But he's such a big wussie.

      Delete
  4. I tried to send you an email, but they kept getting kicked back to me.
    We never had guns due to we being city folk and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I've talked to Comcast about the problem and they admit it's on their end of the line, yet still no fix. Sorry.
      You know, Rob, it isn't too late to join the gun culture. Find a local dealer. They all deal in used firearms and purchase a cheap but well cared for .22 rifle and shot. It's fun.

      Delete
    2. I would love to get a rucksack, I will have to look for one.

      Delete
    3. I have a box somewhere in my attic with several packed inside...if only I can find the time to climb and look I will see if I can find it. These are medium sized old military rucksacks. If, and it's a big if, I find them I'll send you one. No charge. In the meantime, buy a firearm.

      Delete
  5. Stephen,

    YUM.....homemade Salsa!!!

    Nice looking knives, we have a few of them hanging around.
    Enjoy your dealings with Tommy Boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write the salsa, from the depths of refrigerator, speaks to me. I want it, bad....but alas, I must wait until later in the day. Otherwise She will whack me.
      The picture of knives is a stock photo off Google...I hope Tommy comes thru for me. Thanks, Sandy.

      Delete