Autumn

Autumn

Monday, October 22, 2012

The Weekend In Pictures

Walked outside a few minutes ago to feed our cat and noticed one of my banana trees is about to give birth to a nice batch of baby bananas. Me, all smiles.

Our weather is, fair. Has been for a week or so; clear dry days with highs in the lower eighties. I can't wait until the weather improves. Beautiful weather, to me, would be a rainy windy day with a high of about forty-five.

*****

As promised here are the pictures from our group workday. I'm sure many of you remember our retreat suffered from a very bad (historic) flood. The aftermath and clean-up has taken many months of hard work. Overall we have been very lucky. Many of the area residents lost the homes. We count our blessings.

All my friends arrived early and by the time I appeared (remember, I work for a living) had accomplished much. They had repositioned the outhouse and the old travel trailer adjacent to the Boar's Nest. We use the trailer for storage.  Senior sleeps in the outhouse. He's funny that way....

I was greeted by the younger crowd with their usual gang related hand signs. Class tells. Senior is the dude hiding his face. Kids...what can I say. We need them for the heavy lifting and comic relief.



Above, another shot of Senior hard at work on a bag of Mountain House.

Our 'shooting shed' was destroyed by the flood and needed to be rebuilt. After lunch we tackled the mess the flood left behind and after several hours of hard work we had the structure replaced. We'll complete the project next month. Above Duke hard at work. I've posted this picture of Duke for my lovely friend, kymber.

Above, Senior and Pirate Jim. If you're ever in a jam these are two guys you'd want in your foxhole.

As an aside we've decided to build a three gun range....should be fun.


We have a beautiful retreat.

Above, a very special young man. This is the son of my best friend, Pirate Jim. His name is Brandon and Brandon is special because he's closer to God than you and I. We're lucky to have him. He's a very hard worker and gives out hugs whenever or wherever they're needed. Brandon senses when a person is in need of support and without question walks over and 'hugs.' He always leaves me with a smile. In this picture he's inspecting the installation of one of the structures load bearing supports.  That 'log' took five grown men, and Senior, to place. Sucker was heavy.

Here we have ShooterSteve. He's shooting nails into a stud behind this old set of school lockers we've just placed. We use the cabinets for range storage such as targets, tape, sand bags and spare hearing protection. We had to dig them from beneath the old collapsed structure and as you can plainly see they've seen better days.   

That's it folks. It was a good day. Now, I need to get to work.

Take care.

Stephen






12 comments:

  1. That's a lot of very hard work, but I can see you've been blessed with good friends. Makes the work go easier, somehow, when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, my good friend. I've been blessed with great friends. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the group has everything under control. I'll bet it is strange to see after the flood. Glad to hear you are still growing bananas. .You would think more people would grow them here in the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we try. I agree, every home needs a few banana trees. Thanks, Sweet Girl.

      Delete
  3. thanks for all of the pics - especially the ones of *sigh* - my Dear Duke!!! Senior's not bad either - bahahahahah!

    but honestly, i am glad that your retreat suffered less than it could have - and it is very beautiful!

    so is Brandon. i could tell when i enlarged his pic that he has a very big heart. there is nothing more important in the world than to stop and take time out of your day and hug someone!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, dear kymber. Yes, Brandon indeed has a big heart. I'm very fond of him. Thanks, dear lady.

      Delete
  4. Hang on, raising the Bravo Sierra flag, I had a beef stroganoff mountain house in the truck for you and you didnt want it. Us younger guys need nutrious meals since we are the ones doing the lifting, you said it. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the truck in the bag isn't a hot lunch....I wanted steak, or shrimp, or at least a friggin hotdog.

      Delete
    2. You passed a cracker barrel on they way out there. If wanted steak, shrimp or even a hot dog, you should have stopped then.

      Delete
    3. Senior...it's just a joke. Chill.

      Delete
  5. Maybe you all could put pontoons on the out house, and tie it to a tree. Looks like you all worked your tails off. It's great that you have a group of guys that get their hands dirty, when they need to. And have a good time doing so.
    Your very blessed with friends, and comrades in arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my friend, is a very good idea...then again, its probably top heavy. And, we'd need to move out Seniors bunk. Thanks, my good friend.

      Delete