Autumn

Autumn

Monday, May 28, 2012

We're Still Here

And so is the storm. My Internet connection just came back online after an all night outage. We currently  have sustained winds of thirty-five miles per hour. Last night the weather service reported gust upwards of seventy with one unconfirmed burst of eighty-six.

With the morning light I see our yard is a mess. The rain is heavy and steady. I have no idea how much we've received. All the weather service reports are cumulations at our local airport and they are never the same we receive here in the city. I'll guess two to three inches.

Our power flickered all night but never, thank the Good Lord, went out. I still kept a couple of our hurricane lamps lit against the chance of such an occurrence.

We're very lucky, others not so much. Trees are down on cars and homes. It's sad. Many thousands of homes are without power. Now we face the backside of this tropical storm and we have a long day ahead of us.

One saving grace has been my little 'wind up' Eton radio. If you don't have one I'd highly recommend you purchase at least two. They're inexpensive and very nice to have when the power is out.

I've been awake all night and I feel the lack of sleep creeping into my sore body. I paced all night, took flashlight trips out into the rain several times. Every bump and wind burst had me up and out on the check for downed limbs, the condition of our roof, and my truck. The truck survived, so far, without a scratch. My morning paper even arrived dry.

I'd like to thank all of you, my kind friends, for your words of encouragement and support.

Time for my sixth or seventh pot of coffee. Hopefully I'll sleep sometime today.

Until later, and forgive my lack of edit on this post. I'm just too darn tired to care.

Stephen

31 comments:

  1. dear sweet one - i am glad that everything is well with you and yours. and i am saddened for the people who did not fare this storm so well. now put down the coffee and go and get some rest, dear one.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will as soon as Sweet Wife has breakfast on the table and I've eaten. Just heard another transformer blow....it will be a long day. Thanks, sweet kymber.

      Delete
  2. Glad your both safe. Nothing here so far. I guess we are too far south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the storm is expected to turn north into Georgia. Thanks, Rob.

      Delete
  3. Good to see a post to know you're OK. Hang in their sir, storms end, the sun shines and all will be well again. On the reminder front - all things in moderation. You will not need to clean up everything in one day or a couple of days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall...the yard will take a couple of days of work to clean. It's a mess. Thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that you are safe. Continuing to pray for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like the hurricane season is getting off to an early start. Our prayers go out to you. Be safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very early for such storms. Freaky early. Thanks for the prayers, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are OK. Better to have preps and not need them than need them and not have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Sixbears. It's nice to have preps on hand and not worry. Thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Good to read everyone is well.

    Grog
    III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grog...it's nice to be well. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)May 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

    Glad you all made it through the storm ...Hurricanes are scary. Last year, Irene left us without power for many days, our bridges were washed out and we lost trees. Make sure you both get plenty of rest and like eiaftinfo said, take your time with any cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Phyllis. I hope to catch a nap later this afternoon. Still to pumped with caffeine to relax.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the update last night...
    I actually did fall asleep after getting your text. I could not have otherwise. Helluva thing ain't it...
    Just know that I am available to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate you offer of help. I stayed awake the whole night...and, I feel it. Take care and thanks again, my good friend.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear that the house and truck are intact so far. Hope you can get some sleep, sleep deprivation is very stressful on the body, particularly the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really get my sleep, Mrs. S., still have much to do and the storm is still with us, even today. Tons of rain. Six plus inches, so far. Thank you, dear lady.

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you weathered the storm. Have a good Memorial day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Memorial Day was, well, okay. Thanks, my friend and take care of my/our girls.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bubba. BTW, you're doing some fine blogging of late. Take care.

      Delete
  13. Glad you made it through OK. Eldest Daughter called to tell me she was OK as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she ever needs help down here, Larry, please yell. We have a nice large support group willing and waiting. Thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  14. Stephen,
    I'm happy to hear you and Sweet Wife are okay after dealing with this storm. Now get some sleep, lol.....sometimes that is easier said than done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true....I did sleep well last night. Thanks, my dear Sandy.

      Delete
  15. We've only been in Hernando a year, and I have many concerns with this weather versus Indiana weather, so I'm glad I found you when I did. I read your post to my husband and he said we will go to Lowe's tomorrow to buy that radio you recommended. In Indiana, ice storms were THE scariest with no electricity, no heat, and no way of driving off the hill on ice. But the winds weren't CONSTANT and I'm starting to fear the constant winds of a tropical storm or hurricane. Our utilities are underground here. I assume that helps????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lotta joy, my dear, first the utilities...yes, buried is better than above ground but you will still lose power time to time. Like yours our home is on underground lines and I've spent up to two weeks without power during and after a storm. I do own a generator, hard wired, and it helps...worth the investment, trust me. I'll try, sometime today, to write a post for you...thanks.

      Delete
  16. Glad to hear that you're safe & well ... hope you've managed to get some sleep by now too!

    ReplyDelete