Autumn

Autumn

Friday, May 18, 2012

A Watch for That Day

I have this thing about watches. I must have at least a dozen or so tucked safely away in my dresser but I only wear one or two different pieces during any given month. For the last few years it's been my stainless steel automatic Seiko. Its a fine watch but I grew bored with it.

Over the years I've used and worn out several different Timex Expeditions. A cheap watch by today's standards, less than sixty dollars on-line or at your local Wal-Mart, if they carry them. Many places don't stock wrist watches since so many young people use their cellphones time feature.

Anyhow,  I like the Indiglo Alarm model.  The only drawback to the Timex Expeditions are their need of a battery. I bet when the dark man arrives on his black horse there will be a lot of dead watches attached to  zombie arms.


As you know I've been a bit bored of late. So yesterday, or was it last week, don't remember, I jumped online and went to the Timex website and ordered another Expedition. The one pictured above, and immediately went out and had a new five year battery installed. Just in case. (I've since been informed it is possible to find ten year lithium batteries.) 

This morning I zipped over to AR15.COM to read the forums and came across this very subject, watches. The topic of discussion was which timepiece was best for those left after the world bites the dust. One fella mentioned he liked the Seiko Military watch. Guess what, now I have another itch to scratch.



Did a wee bit of research on the watch and I like it. It too is automatic but lacks the alarm and light feature I find very handy especially when I camp. But hey, it'll run when those batteries wear out. I like the green although it comes in several different colors.

Now there might come a day when it'll be necessary for you to grab the old sextant and cut the sun for noon in order to get your timepiece back on time, but that will be the least of your worries when the poop hits the fan.


At least you'll be on time.

Stephen

24 comments:

  1. I've given my battery watches to the kids, so I only have two wind up watches. One's accurate enough, one's worth something, and both will work when the SHTF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good old fashioned spring watch works for me, Borepatch. Thank you, my friend and have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. A good old fashioned spring watch will certainly do the job, Borepatch. Thanks my good friend and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. when it hits the fan....all I am gonna care about is sun up and sun down. I doubt I will have any appointments to be on time for. I do however tend to favor an old style wind up pocket watch....it is just cowboy cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't argue with your sound logic, my friend. Take care and have a good weekend, and thanks.

      Delete
  3. You might think about this one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAW2000T-7CR-Pathfinder-Multi-Function-Titanium/dp/B002OSY3WW/ref=sr_1_9?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1337373744&sr=1-9

    No battery required, Barometer (something I use alot), compass, altimeter, multiple alarms, radio sync for time . . .

    Probably my favorite watch over the past 45+ years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon as I finish typing this reply I'll run over and droll...all I need is another watch. Thank you my good friend.

      Delete
    2. You forgot to mention the thermometer...and shucks, it puts my little old Timex to shame.

      Delete
  4. but the real question is: why are all new clocks and watches set at 10:10?

    lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellie, because it 'looks' neat. Really. Thanks, sweet lady.

      Delete
  5. I figure that exact time will not be an issue - there will be daylight and there will be dark. In between will be all the work it takes for maintenance of self, which becomes very time consuming when power is out for any length of time.

    I liked the Expeditions, too, when I still wore a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubba, watches have many functions and will after the poop splats too. For instance, just using the hands you have a compass. If you have a group of friends and you have guards standing watch over the group you will need to change those 'watches' every few hours. And, besides, I just like to know the time...take care, have a great weekend and I'll see you Monday, the Good Lord willing. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I got a Rolex. Parents bought it as a graduation present. My grandfather, a civil engineer and surveyor, wore his in the field for 50 years and kept ticking. Now I got all his surveying equipment so when the day comes, I can still do my engineering work without power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell 'ya what, Bubba, I've a fine brand new Timex I'll swap you for that sorry Rolex...but today and today only...better jump on it.
      Thanks, Mudbug, it's nice to 'see' you again.

      Delete
  7. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)May 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

    Don't laugh - I still have my Mickey Mouse watch from when I was a kid (and that was a long, long time ago)!
    Now I wear a Swiss Army. Not as cool as MM, but it does glow in the dark! The only problem with it is the little window is too small for me to see what day it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet its worth a pretty penny to collectors out there...don't let it go. Thanks, Phyllis.

      Delete
  8. I have a Wenger Swiss Army watch as well. It has an hour hand, a minute hand, a second hand, a date window, and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only time I wear a watch is during deer season. It's a run of the mill Casio G-Shock. It will take everything I dish out during a hunting season. Other than that I don't wear a watch. Here's the thing though, I'm fascinated with them. I look at them on the web, in catalogs and I can't pull away from a watch display in a store. What gives? I don't know but I can't stop myself. And don't let me get around a pocket watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casio seems to make fine watches at affordable prices. I own two. I should dig 'em up. Thanks, Dean.

      Delete
  10. I bought my husband a watch that runs on movement. I'm not a watch-wearer myself, but I like the look of them. Hey, a girl who loves accessories, big surprise! ; ) Since I will be starting at a local elementary come fall semester, I find I'm in need of a watch, keeping on schedule in school is kind of a big deal there, I guess. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, good 'ole automatics, gotta love 'em. Thanks, my dear.

      Delete
  11. I have a Citizen model my wife got me about 4 years ago. The face is a solar panel and I haven't needed to mess with it since I got it. I love it. I understand wanting a light and alarm. It's a double edged sword with the power drain they can cause. The hands on mine are embedded with phosphorus. If I don't want anyone to see me and I need to see the time, I usually cover my light and pulse it on the face, then I can see the hands. My deer season watch is a junky digital model that wouldn't make it through the first wave of zombies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased one of the same for my wife years ago. She wore about a day, if I remember correctly...thanks, my friend. Oh, just throw the watch at the zombies when it's time....

      Delete