Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Good Afternoon

Sorry I didn't write an update last night but yesterday was hectic, to say the least. On my way out the door for my afternoon with the doctors and nurses I heard an awful sound. Do you guys and girls remember the water line leak I had last week - well guess what.

I dialed the plumber as I drove away and told him his repair didn't hold. Informed him I wanted water before I came home last night. He said, "I'll try."  At the doc's office the nurse asked why my blood pressure was so high.

So, I get to his office twenty minutes early, take a seat and wait with soul searing patience. Finally the nurse, all cheery and chatty, screams my name. She takes me to a room and I sit there for one solid hour. Thank God for Kindle. I arrived at one forty-five in the afternoon....left at five. I kid you not. At least I had water when I arrived home. I forget the author of the famous phrase, 'It's times like these that try man's soul.'

kymber, my dear lady, as requested, here's your picture of the soup I built yesterday.


As many of you know I am the founder of a group of like minded individuals. We're all veterans of our country's various military services. A great bunch of men and women. For the last year we've met once a month. Lately we just call our monthly meetings, work days. I, nor Duke, for obvious reasons, could make this month's meeting/work day.

We, as a group, have under construction what we call, The Boar's Nest. Its a combination storage/bunkhouse/kitchen constructed on stilts located far out in the boonies on a beautiful wild river.

Last weekend the guys, without mine and Duke's valued help, finished our power connection. We have lights....and a freshly painted ceiling, in white. They did a great job. Wish I had a photo to share. Well, I do but it's an older picture of a few us on our quest for treasure taken last year. Duke is that big fella on the far left.


Above, a rare picture of yours truly. I don't like cameras. For the curious it's a Glock 27 in my old Galco SOB holster. I remember it was a hot sweaty day and I'd jerked my shirt tail out, and yes, the trousers are old woodland camo. I live in Guy Harvey shirts.

 (snip)

This morning on our way to school I look over to find Little Bit with the trucks visor mirror pulled down and her reflection under careful study. She turns this way and that and smiles. I finally asked, "Honey, what are you doing?"

She turns to me with, "Papa, I'm wearing my new lipstick, and now I'm pretty, and it's pink."

Seems her Nana gave her a stick of that lip balm stuff for her birthday. The brand is geared towards little girls.

I don't know, ask someone else.

"Papa."

"Yes, Honeybun."

"Aren't I pretty?"

"You have always been pretty to me with or without that stuff."


She smiles at me. Then, "I know Papa, I just wanted to make sure you still knew I was pretty."

Girls.

Stephen

19 comments:

  1. At least your day ended with water. Had it not been sorted I reckon the 4 hour doctor's visit would've seemed even more unbearable.

    Look forward to pics of The Boar's Nest in all it's electrified glory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, thank you. Yes, it was nice to have water when I returned home, and I'll try and take pictures next month.

      Delete
  2. You should have said "yes dear, you're pretty, and smart too. That's what is most important". Get that little grain of wisdom working early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is why all you guys should ride along each morning...I'd just glance over my shoulder and say, answer her...thank you, Swamp Dog. Have a good evening.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'll remind her in the morning of her intelligence, she'll probably say, "I know, Papa, duh."

      Delete
  4. The Boar's Nest?

    That name was stuck in my head since the last time you mentioned it. Is it in Hazzard County? I remember ole Boss Hogg used to hole up in there with Daisy as the bartender...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's close to Hazzard county, but not quite. You'd fit right in, Bubba.

      Delete
  5. Swamp Dog - you are awesome! i was going to say something similar but your way sounds better!

    Stephen - thanks for the pic - that looks like some stick-to-your-ribs-and-put-hair-on-your-chest kind of soup - yummy!

    can't wait for the pics of The Boar's Nest! and ya, girls are fun. wait until she gets older - man, you are in for it! bahahahah!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, kymber. Thank you. I'll take pictures next month and try to remember to post them for you.

      Delete
  6. Hehe. You're about to be in trouble with that one. Great looking soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup does look delicious. Could we have the recipe, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rick...thing is I seldome use a recipe for my soups and stews. I just build them.

      With that said, for this soup I browned two pounds of ground round (beef) drained and set aside. I added three tablespoons of bacon fat and flour and made a roux. Goggle roux. You may also use olive oil and butter for the roux. It will have a different flavor but it'll work.
      When you roux and reached the color you want, tan to brown, add chopped onions (two large for me) garlic and saute until clear. Slowly add stock (any will do but when I use beef, I use beef stock) and then add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and whatever vegtable you'd like...bring to a boil, then simmer, the longer the better. Enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Stephen, sounds good. Being from South Louisiana I know about rouxs. Bacon fat and flour make the best roux.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Stephen, sounds good. Being from South Louisiana I know about rouxs. Bacon fat and flour make the best roux.

      Delete
    4. You're welcome, Rick, my pleasure.

      Delete
  8. Glad the plumber fixed your problem. Soup looks real good. I hope the doc says your healing is coming along just fine. The Boars Nest will be just fine until you are able to be there. They are just making some little adjustments. Little Bit sounds so cute talking about her lipstick. She is keeping you in line with the girls ways! So cute. I think she probably looks fabulous in Pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he had to fix it twice. Healing, slowly. She's all girl there is no doubt. Thanks.

      Delete